Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Review ~ Fables: Homelands

Fables: Homelands, Vol. 6
by Bill Willingham
illustrated by Mark Buckingham, David Hahn, Steve Leialoha
genre: Graphic Novel, Adult, Fantasy, Fairy-Tale, Retellings

Summary (Goodreads): Collecting issues #34-41 of writer Bill Willingham's Eisner Award-winning creation, Homelands follows Boy Blue on a mission of revenge as he uncovers the Adversary's true identity! Plus, the two-part story of Jack's adventures in Hollywood and the one-shot story of Mowgli's return to Fabletown.

My Thoughts: This was another big volume. A lot going on and reveals that we have been waiting for since volume 1.
I didn't dislike Jack's story but at the same time I'm not sure I would have read it if it hadn't been included with other stories. Jack has always been up to one scheme or another so finding him in Hollywood making his name as well known as Snow's, so he wold be immortal, made sense for his character. The ending made it seem like he was disappearing for good but I cannot imagine him not coming up with some way to get into something else.
I enjoyed Blue's adventures in the Homelands.  I've been waiting for this reveal and when it happened I was a little underwhelmed. At first I thought okay this works but they lost me when the Adversary started telling his story. There is still a lot of potential with this character, especially with how it ended between him and Blue.
Overall, a lot happened in this volume. Both the writing and the graphics were what I have come to expect from this series. As long as they keep entertaining me I'll keep reading.

Rating: 4

No comments:

Post a Comment