Monday, March 3, 2014

(mini) Book Review ~ BackUp

BackUp (The Dresden Files #10.3)

by Jim Butcher
published by Subterranean
genre: Adult. Urban Fantasy, Supernatural

Summary (Goodreads): Let's get something clear right up front. I'm not Harry Dresden. Harry's a wizard. A genuine, honest-to-goodness wizard. He's Gandalf on crack and an IV of Red Bull, with a big leather coat and a .44 revolver in his pocket. He'll spit in the eye of gods and demons alike if he thinks it needs to be done, and to hell with the consequences--and yet somehow my little brother manages to remain a decent human being. I'll be damned if I know how. But then, I'll be damned regardless. My name is Thomas Raith, and I'm a monster. So begins "Backup" a twelve thousand word novelette set in Jim Butcher's ultra-popular Dresden Files series. This time Harry's in trouble he knows nothing about, and it's up to his big brother Thomas to track him down and solve those little life-threatening difficulties without his little brother even noticing.

My Thoughts: This is a short story from the Dresden Files. I really liked that it was told from Thomas' POV. He is one of my favorite vamps in any series and it was nice to get a glimpse of this world from someone else's eyes.
Thomas finds out from his sister from that other family that a group they have been trying to wipe out in the Oblivion war has just hired Harry to help with a fake kidnapping. The real purpose is to get a book into the Harry's hands in order to keep them in existence.
Even without remembering what was going on in the series at this point, it was still a great read that gave a little more insight into one of my favorites.

Rating: 5

No comments:

Post a Comment